Thursday, September 22, 2016

A rare theater experience

One of the best theatrical experiences for me and all involved was COCKTAIL SUITE, a hyperdrama I wrote, directed and produced. Changed along way but in  final version, 3 one-act plays performed in a bar/restaurant, running simultaneously, major actors in one becoming minor in another. 3 performances for an evening of theater. A drama, a comedy, a ... musical!

8 roles. I formed a co-op with 10 claims, 1 for each actor, 2 for me as writer/director. We split the box office.

NO EXPENSES. I got space free because owner got food, drink revenue. No tech requirements, no costume expenses. Contemporary stories.

Audience of 50/night, usually sold out. $20 ticket, $1000 a night, $100 actor, $200 me per show, 2 shows a week. We thought we were getting rich! and every actor in town wanted to be in this.

Artistic success, financial success.

Transfer this concept to permanent space, use tech and screens to establish settings, could create a hyperdrama theater company.

Younger, I'd do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment