Saturday, September 17, 2016

An exploded audience

For writers, for me, the Internet, especially the early World Wide Web, changed everything. Conveniently, this coincided with my introduction to and obsession of hyperdrama.

In the 90s I put up the first website for playwrights and screenwriters, gaining instant credibility and benefits. This website led to my being contacted by Portland State University to create a screenwriting program. I did - and stayed almost 20 years.

In 1994 I wrote an essay "What Is Hypertext?" and put it online. It was found and admired by a librarian at the University of North Carolina. She offered me unlimited archival space in the new digital library, Ibiblio, she had created. A gift from the gods. I accepted.

My work in hyperdrama was found by a director in Santiago. He commissioned a one act hyperdrama, which was developed online with his company. This work now is "in the canon of first generation hypertext."

And so it goes. Here, online, has been my primary work environment and fan base through most of my career since the 90s. A virtual community.

No comments:

Post a Comment